Thursday, April 28, 2011

Repurposed Kalona SuperNatural Milk Bottle as DIY Water Sprinkler

DIY Water Sprinkler from Milk Bottle
We love the milk from Kalona SuperNatural, headquartered just a little ways down the road. Short of having your own cow or owning part of a herd, this organic milk is as good as it gets. It is not homogenized, so you can see the cream line, and it is pasteurized at a low temperature. (The yogurt, by the way, is the best I’ve ever tasted. Ever. The strawberry especially.) Kalona SuperNatural supplies the milk for HyVee’s house brand of organic milk, but not all HyVees carry this product.


But what to do with the plastic bottles with their nice lids? I am all for recycling plastic, but it seems wasteful to immediately recycle perfectly good bottles.

Until I come up with new ideas, I will make sprinkler bottles to water my plants.

It holds a half gallon and is light and easy for houseplants or a deck container garden. It also would be useful for applying liquid fertilizer such as compost tea or fish emulsion.

Because the lid removes easily, you can keep it clean. Sprinkling rosettes on standard watering cans sometimes get clogged with detritus. At least mine do because I leave them exposed to the elements.

Read on to see the directions for a DIY Water Sprinkler from Kalona SuperNatural Milk Bottles.



Directions for DIY Water Sprinkler from Kalona SuperNatural Milk Bottle

1. Wash the bottle’s insides with warm soapy water until it no longer smells milky.

2. With an electric drill and a small bit, make as many holes in the lid as you can. I did not work from a pattern, I just started drilling. If you would rather draw little dots on the lid and use them for a guide, then good for you. I drilled the lid while it was firmly attached to the bottle, but if you have a work bench that might be safer. I was living on the edge.

3. Then make a 5 or 6 holes in the neck of the bottle so that air can escape. It’s physics, but don’t ask me to explain it, you just need to do this or it won’t work.

4. The bottle is ready to be used.

I would love to hear your suggestions for how to re-use these bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment